Sunrise Health service
The region covered by Sunrise is an area of approximately 75,000square kilometres and includes the communities of Manyallaluk, Barunga, Wugularr, Bulman, Mataranka, Jilkmingan, Miniyerrei, Urapunga and Ngukurr and their outstations. Sunrise Health Service is not funded to provide direct substance misuse rehabilitation and prevention programs although the need to do so is evident however are able to provide community based culturally appropriate education and awareness programs, immediate clinical treatment of withdrawal symptoms, and advocating on behalf of clients.
The service runs two relevant programs which is currently funded through the Department of Health & Ageing. The first is the Wugularr Youth at Risk Program which has one dedicated worker. The program which has been extended to Jilkmingan with plans to include Ngukurr, includes as one of its harm reduction strategies, delivering volatile and other substance training to parents and significant others.
The second program is the Tobacco Control and Other Substances Program, which is run by one Aboriginal Health Worker.
The aim of the program is to:
- Deliver effective and culturally appropriate drug and alcohol services and programs within the SHS communities to improve the health and wellbeing of its community members.
This is achieved through the following strategies:
- Implementing and maintaining community based education and prevention activities such as programs to address lifestyle risk factors such as alcohol/substance abuse
- Implementing and maintaining a social and emotional wellbeing service through support, counselling and harm minimisation programs (delivered to individuals and family groups)
- Providing clinical treatment and supporting clients undergoing detoxification/withdrawal from substance use
- Participation in intersectorial collaboration with other service providers to address substance abuse issues through established networks;
- Providing therapy to clients referred from a variety of pathways including self-referrals and family intervention
Visit the website Sunrise Health Service